Monday, February 10, 2014

Seahawks win the Super Bowl

I have been a Seahawks fan for quite a while, my Dad might tell you differently but I have rooted for them since I was a kid.  For those of you that know me pretty well know how big a fan I am as well as the family.  Tammy and the boys are certainly becoming bigger fans everyday.  I have fond memories of watching the 'Hawks with my Grandpa after church when I was little and have rooted for them through the semi good years with Chuck Knox, Dave Krieg and Steve Largent; the really lean years (see pretty much the entirety of Cortez Kennedy's career, thankfully he is still in the Hall of Fame); the surprisingly good years with Mike Holmgren, Matt Hasselbeck and Shawn Alexander (I still think he runs like a wuss) and now the great years with this team.  Most of the Seahawks teams have been disappointing over the years but I have rooted for them nonetheless (now I will admit, I may not have rooted for them as fervently when they are not as good though).  This last season was incredible, not only for the Seahawks but has also been something for the boys to start to get excited about as well.

 
Michael sporting my Seahawks hat, he loves taking this from me and wearing although I don't think it is always because it is a Seahawk hat.
 

So I wore this shirt to the Vatican when we went last summer, yes I wore it in hopes that it would bring the Seahawks a little extra blessing from God.  I normally would think that praying for a pro sports team is silly but I couldn't help it.  We have never been this good and I REALLY wanted them to win!

 
Great symbol, I love the combination!
 
 
So when I told Tammy that I was going to write this post she asked me why because it is not something that really has anything to do with our time in Germany other than it happened while we are in Germany, she was joking.  I did think about her question quite a bit and that the Seahawks as well as other things we are passionate about are a part of every adventure we take, even if we really aren't thinking about it.  I know people that are into arts and crafts and while they are traveling they find ideas or things that they want to do or work into something that they are already doing.  For me it is a simple as just wearing a Seahawk shirt while we are traveling and hopefully it will be something that we as a family will rally around for years to come and with this Super Bowl win it is certainly something for us to get behind and be excited about, something that will hopefully always be a mutual talking piece for the boys and I when they get older and don't feel the need to spend much time around Dad.  I know that when I call home talking about the 'Hawks with Mom and Dad or Grandma is something I look forward to, heck I look forward to talking about the 'Hawks with everyone really.  It is also really cool to see friends and family show their Seahawk pride on Facebook and has been a conversation starter with quite a few people or just an acknowledgment of another human being I would normally not have anything else in common with or reason to say hello to.  It is amazing to see how sports teams can be such a rallying point for people, I guess I hadn't thought much about it until I have seen more and more Seahawk fans out while traveling.  It is really cool to finally see my team bring so much joy to so many people.  So here we are at the end of the season looking forward to next season!
 
 
Here are the boys with their new Seahawk shirts, my pillow pet (Blitz) that they have been taking care of while I am at school.

 
Looking good in their NFC Championship shirts!

 
I thought this was cool because it certainly feels that way!  This season has been so much fun, hopefully there will be several more to celebrate with my family, friends, and fellow 12s!

No comments:

Post a Comment