Thursday, August 22, 2013

Luxemburg - once again

So on Saturday, August 17th, David had to work 24 hour duty and Porchea's husband had to work also so I thought it would be fun to take her and her kids to the pirate ship park because we had so much fun on Monday!!  She also invited one of her friends to come along, so we had a great little group, seven kids (six of them boys) and four adults!!  I decided to take them to the American cemetery first since it was such a short distance away.

 
The kids taking a break - but this was before we even went into the cemetery.  :-)

 
The sky was so blue I couldn't help but put this one on here.  So peaceful and beautiful!
 
 
The kids checking out all the crosses.  AJ and Michael were the "tour guides" since they had been there before.  It was great!

 
One thing I didn't know that I learned from Lance was that if you are a soldier, when you visit the cemeteries of fallen soldiers you should take off your socks and shoes so that there is no barrier between you and the fallen soldier.  Also it is some of the softest and greenest grass you will ever feel!

 
The kids at the gate.  After that I took them over to the German cemetery and stayed with kids while the other adults checked it out.  Then off to the pirate ship park!

 
This time we packed a lunch and had a picnic up on the hill we also were a little better prepared and all the kids had swimsuits on so they could get as wet as they want!!

 
They were all so intently looking at something and I couldn't figure out what it was, then Lance told me it was the dam that they were looking at.

 
Michael decided sitting wasn't thrilling enough so he wanted to stand.  :-)

 
AJ decided to get in on it too!!  The kids thought it was funny to try and get me dirty with their feet.

 
I just really liked this hippo - I thought it was cute and so is the kid sitting on it!

 
This was the "deep water" as the boys informed me- and ended up showing me by jumping and splashing each other!

 
This was neat - it was to pan for gold, but our boys decided to just fill it up with as much mud as possible to block it.  I say whatever works!

 
Andre and Michael decided to make castles in the rocks.

 
Then on to burying AJ in the rocks.  Since there wasn't any sand, the kids made do.

 
And of course we had to stop for ice cream!!!

 
AJ and Michael wanted to show the kids the elephants

 
This is one place David and I didn't get to when we went.  It is the Cathedrale Pelerinage a Notre-Dame.   It was built from 1613-1621 and is the oldest church of the college of Jesuits.  It became a cathedral of the Archbishop of Luxembourg in 1870.

 
That poor elephant - the kids were climbing all over it

 
I liked this elephant - so colorful!!!

 
The confessionals at the cathedral

 
You know me and my love of the organs!  I also like how the sun is coming in through the windows.

 
This is looking towards the front of the church - isn't it absolutely gorgeous!!!  Look at those huge stained glass windows!

 
This is on one side of the church - you can see the stone work and this is just a small part of it.

 
This is a closer look at the front of the church.  By this time it was almost 6 pm and we still had an hour and a half drive home.  So we headed back to where we parked the cars.

 
I couldn't help myself - I thought this sign is hilarious.  They really didn't want you going in there!  We had a wonderful time and the kids were great!!!  They were all exhausted on the way home, we picked up some McDonald's and it was quiet on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment