Monday, January 27, 2014

Pine Wood Derby

Yes folks, it is that time of year again for the scouts - Pine Wood Derby.  This year, with David being gone, it came down to AJ and I to get it ready to go.  He did all the work again, he drew the car, an adult cut it out, then he painted it, sticker-ed it, put the weights on it and everything.  He was so excited about it!!


Here we are at the morning weigh-in.  There are specific items that have to be met; weight, length, width, etc.  Luckily we passed all inspections.  I did have a problem with putting the wheels on though.  I broke one of the axles when trying to put the wheel on.  With some wood glue I was able to fix it.  I had to get all four wheels on the ground and that was my problem, I couldn't, but finally I was able too!  Though the wheels were a little wobbly.


We went home after the weigh-in and then here we are back again, waiting for the race to begin.


They did awards first- AJ received his one year service star award and a couple more belt loops!!  Pretty soon he is going to need a longer belt.  :-)


They are all sitting around the big race track as the races are about to begin.


Self portrait - before he raced his car we were all smiles!!!


His car is about to race for the first time - anticipation!


The boys scouts help with the races.  AJ's car is the second from the right.


His car was out front - so excited!!!!


AJ did really well, he took third in the Wolfs den.  So he qualified for the district pine wood derby again this year!  Even with the wobbly wheels.  :-)


Receiving his trophy! 


So excited that he has another trophy!!  Though he did tell me if he didn't have wobbly wheels he probably would have gotten first place.


He also received a certificate for best sticker art on his car.  It was a great day!!!  He asked if we could fix the wheels for district, I told him we would try.  Mommy can only do so much :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment